Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Listen to Your Elders

Listen to your elders when they tell you stuff. Oftentimes, you will find the wisdom of these when you are faced with different situations in life.

When we were kids, we were not allowed to do anything else during mealtimes. Meals were taken at the dining table and not anywhere else. Not in front of the television, not while doing other things. We have to finish eating (at the dining table) first before we can be excused to go back to whatever it is we were doing before the meal. Up until now, if we are in Cagayan de Oro, when Ma says dinner is served, we would stop what we were doing (often watching tv) and sit down at the dining table to eat.

Here in Manila, living on our own, we are more flexible about this. Often, if I am alone, I would be eating in front of the tv. Last Saturday night was no exception. Sister was out and I was home by myself. I was working on something in front of the computer when I got hungry. I went to the kitchen and got a couple of breadsticks and some cheese spread. I proceeded to eat the breadsticks, putting on the spread as I ate along, eating in front of the computer, not wanting to be interrupted in my work. Undecided of I wanted a third stick or not, I looked at the remaining breadsticks. It was then that I took notice of my food up close and personal. Well, what do you know, out of the five sticks left, two have started to sprout something. It looks like daffodils! On a breadstick? That cannot be good, or nice. How can be molds be nice? or good?

It was then that I realised I might have eaten breadsticks that have "extra flavoring" on it. The cheese spread might have masked whatever taste it has. I cannot know for sure if the breadsticks I had eaten have molds on them or not. Oh, well. At least, the decision was made for me. I did not have a third stick as I threw out the rest of it.

So, eat your meal at the dining table and not in front of the television. That way, you can be sure that you do not have molds on your food.

I also learned that yes, molds can be good - they are good at killing appetites in a snap. Good for people who are dieting!?? *LOL*

No comments: