Friday, May 26, 2006

Giant Nebulizer

I had been (and still is) having trouble with my cough. I have the dry, heaving kind; the one the leaves you clutching your sides because your ribcage hurts after a coughing spell; the one that leaves your throat raw; the one that wakes you up at night; the one that leaves you weak.

Last Wednesday, I decided to go work already (from the fear of developing bedsores, besides, my bed could need a break from me). I spend the day "floating" around the office, trying to do as much work as I can manage, nodding off from time to time.

Wednesday night, I fetched one of my girlfriends and we went to City Lifestyles to pamper ourselves with a massage. Included in the massage is the free use of the wet floors. Hacking and coughing, I feared for a minute that they won't let me in because I was sick. But then again, this is the Philippines, so I got in.

We decided to use the steam room over the sauna or jacuzzi, we even asked the attendant to pour some eucalyptus scented water into whatever contraption that was in there to make the room smell minty. Well, well, well. We were in there for 15 minutes and what do you know, I just coughed twice, and just single barks at that! I realized that what I had at my disposal (at that time) was a giant nebulizer! With the eucalyptus scent, my nasal passageways as well as my bronchial tubes cleared up. What a treat!

My friend, who is a doctor, also noticed this. She asked what meds I have and told me to take antihistamine as well, for I may have developed symptoms similar to allergies with my cough, that's why it's dry and non productive, no matter how much expectorant I had.

I still cough like a mad dog from time to time, but the episodes are now further apart. Maybe I should have another go at that wonderful "nebulizer."

No comments: