Wednesday, June 21, 2006

High School Reunion

Last Sunday, I went with Mom to her high school reunion. It has been 50 years since they graduated. We were at the venue by 945 although the event was scheduled to start at noon. A little bit early, aren’t we? Well, Mom was recruited to sell tickets at the gate that’s why she had to be there early. Being the chaperone and chauffer, I had nothing to do, so I went out and got me Sunday papers, which kept me good company until 12 (when lunch began).

By 1030, the place was already teeming with people. Some of Mom’s classmates came home (from all over the world: US, Hong Kong, China, etc.) just to attend this event. By 11, people were overflowing to the reception area.

It was fun to see their batch come together. I was amazed at their energy and enthusiasm. It is as if 50 years did not happen and they were still in high school. When the class picture was taken, the stage nearly cannot accommodate the celebrants! Easily, they could be around a hundred, maybe more.

Seeing a bunch of 70-year-olds come together laughing and giggling, enjoying each other’s company, was a rare treat. Boredom just faded into the distance. I sat back and enjoyed watching these people enjoy themselves and each other’s company. It was a good day. It was a good reunion (and I won in the raffle).

No comments: