Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Pseudo Submarine

Last weekend should herald the start of rainy season here in the Philippines. It has been raining everyday since last Saturday. Five more days of rain, and it would be "official."

Last night, I detoured to Greenhills to pick up Olive. I was there around 6:55 PM, coming from field work, I was able to get to Greenhills early. By 7:10, Olive and I were on our way home. Rain started to drop around 6:45; by 7:20, I cannot see past 2 feet in front of me, the rain was pouring as if a bucket (a VERY big one at that) opened the heavens and was tipped over the city.

Boyd is a '92 Civic Hatchback, with 13" rim tires, lower than most cars since it is "sporty." Well, Boyd proved his ability at swimming last night, wading through flood waters, threatening at one point to quit, but with a little sweet talk (and lots of prayers), we were able to make it home all right. Whew!

Timog (street? avenue?) was the dividing line, we were three blocks from home and yet cannot cross flood waters that would be half the height of Boyd. Boyd is a swimmer, almost but not quite a submarine yet.

There was a point that I parked in a mall in Quezon Avenue, deciding to have dinner while going to wait for the flood waters to go down a bit. What do you know? The only eating place in the compound is Chowking! Of all the luck. I tried (really I did!), but I can't bring myself to order. Olive took pity on me, and after going to the little girls' room, we decided to try our luck again. We retraced our route, and were lucky enough to get to another restaurant a block away, where we finally had our dinner...anywhere but Chowking! Hehehe.

I started out at 6PM and finally got home at 10 PM in my psudo-submarine. Go, Boyd!

No comments: