Thursday, November 10, 2005

Hairy Scenes

No offense meant to anyone who is follicle-challenged (or is it follically-challenged?). I just want to share a couple of hair anecdotes.

My hair used to be coarse, thick, and straight. Now, I'm sporting chemo hair-hair that is fine and curly. I'm lucky that I still got masses of it; some of my "sisters" hair grew back thinner. They also have curly hair. Curls is one of the "side effects" of chemo, if you can call it that, since there are other survivors who actually enjoy their curls.

Now, my curls are giving me some nightmares (?); with each passing day, my hair grows bigger (longer). Every morning, I would either wake up with a "horny" hair-do (curls that stand out in a bunch, looking like tiny horns here and there (Jedi Imbo should know this, hehehe), or I'd have lop-sided hair where you can tell which side I slept on the night before. There are other days when I'd wake up with an Astroboy hair-do or I'd look like one of those anime characters. I've taken to the pleasure/curse (?) of surprising myself on how'd I look every morning when I wake up.

Friends and acquaintances who have not seen me for some time are usually glad to see that my hair has grown back. Some are even envious of my hair. A friend good naturedly told me: Hayop ka, Vanj! Mas makapal pa buhok mo sa akin! Bwiset! (Vanj, I hate you. You have more hair than I do); to which I replied: Magpa chemo ka, baka lumago (Go have chemotherapy, maybe your hair will grow back thicker!); and we shared a good laugh. My standard reply nowadays when I talked to people who ask me how I am is: I'm fine. Growing big hair. Others are not so tactful. One asked me flat out: Is that real hair or wig? To which I retorted: Oh, it's real, and I got more than you do! *Ka-ching! Ka-ching! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!*

Well, I DO look like I'm sporting a wig. Isn't that funny? I am toying with the idea of having my haircut on Feb. 25 next year, to celebrate a year of no haircut, but I think I really need to get that haircut now.

No comments: