Friday, March 24, 2006

First Check Up of 2006

Yesterday, I went to see my oncologist for my quarterly checkup. All went well except for my liver function tests (LFTs), which were a bit elevated. I lost a couple of pounds, which made everybody (my onco and me, that is) happy.

Due to the elevated LFTs, my oncologist wanted me to do an MRI of my liver. I made a bargain, and we agreed to see the results of my next check up in June, if the values are still elevated, then I will have that MRI. In the meantime, I will be fixing my diet (yet again???), cut the sugar and the fats, try to lose more weight, take more supplements, and then pray that everything will work out for my fatty liver (as if me being fat is not enough, my liver has to join the bandwagon!) Crying 1

After my checkup, I went to visit a "classmate" of mine (in chemotherapy). Leaving her room afterwards, I felt quite sad. She was in pain yesterday, I do not think that she even knew that I was there. I was reminded of my grandmother when she was hospitalized for liver cirrhosis.

With a lot of friends (who had cancer) having recurrences, I can't help but think that I should be extra vigilant about monitoring my health. It is scary, to think that I could be next, but what can I do? I refuse to live in the shadow of fear and paranoia, so I will just try to live my life to the fullest, and I will do it everyday.

No comments: