Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Minus Pretty Points

Being on leave yesterday, I decided to walk to school instead of bringing a car, thinking that a little extra activity might do me a wee bit good, but then again, the pollution might just negate that. Anyway, I did walk to school. After classes, I was so excited since it was officially the last day of school, I hurried home, thinking that I can start the sorting of our stuff already, or perhaps catch something on TV, or maybe catch the last full show since I was so pumped up with energy.

I ended up not doing any of those things. Instead, I now sport a luscious lower lip (it looks like it's injected with collagen), a scraped chin, scrapes on my hands, scrapes on my knees, a VERY bruised ego, and a minus of around 500 pretty points.

A block away from the apartment, I was hurrying along the sidewalk, weaving my way around people who are waiting to catch a ride. I was hurrying, ticking off things on my mental list, and the next thing I knew, I was diving and skidding across the sidewalk into the road. I don't know how I looked sprawled there on the street, but I guess it was not a pretty sight. I just know that I felt my face go bump-bump, and felt my lips connect with my teeth. I stood up, and a guard from a nearby establishment rushed to help me up, at the same time asking: "Ma'am, okay lang po kayo? Anong nangyari?" (Ma'am? Are you okay? What happened?) I can't answer the guard since I was trying to keep the blood in the mouth from pouring out. I had split my lip. I have to spit out the blood before I can answer.

Upon unable to get an answer from me right away, the guard switched to English, asking me if I'm all right. I almost burst out laughing. There I was, standing on the sidewalk, sporting a split lip, and trying to assess any other damages, and I was being mistaken for a foreigner! I finally managed to answer the guard and assured him I am all right. I thanked him and then I hurried home to clean up the wounds and put ice on my lips, which have swollen to twice its size by then. Dinner was forgotten (I realized that this morning when I woke up hungry.) as I tried to hold in my laughter and ice my lips. How clumsy and stupid of me!

Right now, a couple of teeth hurts as well. I realized that I am lucky that I did not break any teeth; and I woke up with only a fat lip. Oh yeah, the scrapes on the chin, hands, and knees still sting from time to time. Good thing school's over, I won't be walking down that stretch of street again. On our "graduation" day on the 27th, I will definitely be bringing the car!

No comments: