Monday, April 10, 2006

Celebrating Life and Death

I "celebrated" my birthday yesterday quitely, just the way I liked. No parties, no fuss, just another ordinary day. Of course, my cell phone's been beeping and ringing constantly, with family members and friends greeting me. I am still even receiving some greetings today.

Late in the afternoon, while having coffee with Olive in one of the numerous coffee shops along Tomas Morato, I received a message informing me that someone passed away. I felt immense sadness but I did not cry. I felt sad that I would not be seeing my friend again, but in a way, thankful that she is not in pain anymore. She has given a good fight, and it is time for her to rest and be at peace.

I realized that we all indeed have much to celebrate, not just special days but everyday is a cause for celebration. Let's celebrate friendship. Let's celebrate birthdays. Let's celebrate weddings. Let's celebrate the births of babies and baptismals.

Let's even celebrate the life of those who have passed on. Let us celebrate the life they have lived and the lives they have touched, the memories that they have left for us. We are all transients in this world, let us live it to the fullest. Let's celebrate life!

4 comments:

Maria Victoria said...

Happy birthday, Vanj!

Vanj said...

thanks, Mavic!

Nelson said...

Happy birthday dear! You're one person I know who DO celebrate life, and continue to inspire others to do so as well!

*hugs!*

Anonymous said...

Belated happy birthday, Vanj! I'm just 2 days older than you. :-)

Let's celebrate life everyday!