Thursday, April 20, 2006

Two Strong Women

Two of the strongest, bravest, and warmest women I know have departed this world last Holy Week. One of them was my "classmate" in three or four of my chemotherapy sessions, the other I met through I Can Serve. These two women have inspired me and touched my life in ways that they never knew. It's a little wonder that I cried my eyes out for them when I was at the wake of one and at the funeral of the other. One is 79 years old when she passed, the other 56, both had put up a very good fight against cancer.

Towards the end of my chemo sessions (the last two), I find it harder and harder to go to the hospital to have my treatments; mainly because I was already feeling the cummulative effects of the drugs. I would try to make up excuses in advanced so that I can present them to the doctor when chemo day comes. Then, I would remember Tita R, who at 79, was cheerfully going to each of her chemo sessions. Tita R would bring sandwiches, softdrinks, and other stuff enough to feed the whole Ambulatory Unit staff, her doctors, and if we had our chemo on the same day, she would include Olive and me. Tita R, who treats each of her chemo session as if she were going on a picnic, and there I was, trying to think of a way to worm my way out of mine. Shame on me! Because of her, I would set aside my excuses and have my chemo dutifully. Tita R taught me to see the positive side of things, to look into the positivity of the future and not dwell on the present negativity.

"Live each day as if it were your last." This is what Tita V always tell us whenever we see each other. "Life is too short, enjoy it to the fullest." Tita V was one woman who really lived her life to the fullest; she always insisted on quality, not quantity. Even on the last days of her life, she still did what she preached. She would still try to dance with her husband while they shared an embrace; she would doll up for him; and she always, always had a ready smile - a smile that is genuine, free of pain, and a smile that lights up not only her face and her eyes, but her whole being.

These are two women who are selfless, who loved unconditionally, who always put others before themselves, who never had a harsh word for anybody, and who had touched countless of lives just by being in the same room.

I hope that someday I might be as selfless as they were; that I might learn to curb my temper and not speak ill of anyone; that I will learn to live each day as if it were my last; that I will be able to live my life to the fullest.

I will sorely miss these two women.

No comments: