Sunday, April 30, 2006

Home

The three of us siblings left home in our teens to study in Manila.

During the first year away, I would look forward to the school breaks so that I can go home to Cagayan de Oro.

Then I was able to make some friends in the university that made my life quite colorful, I started to dread the school breaks then, for it means going home to Cagayan de Oro, and that I would miss out all the "action" and fun of the gang.

After graduation, I was debating for a brief period (all three days of it) whether to look for a job in Manila or accept the job offer in Cagayan de Oro. Obviously, I chose to stay in Manila.

From then on, my life is in Manila; it became more of a "home" for me than Cagayan de Oro; I jumped right into the fast paced life and loved it. I only think Cagayan de Oro as "home" then for my parents are still there. I would go back once a year to spend the holidays there, which admittedly, I sometimes dread, for the place has become alien to me. The only people I know there (who are not family) are the friends I have from high school, who in turn are also just visiting.

The longest stay I had in Cagayan de Oro in years was when I had my surgery last year. There, I realized that I am indeed just a visitor of Cagayan de Oro. I even had a hard time understanding the dialect, especially when it's spoken fast and big words were used. It takes an extra effort and concentration on my part to listen to and understand the dialect.

A few years back, my brother moved back to Cagayan de Oro to start his medical practice. He is now raising his own family there. Olive and I, on the other hand, continues to stay here in Manila.

The difference now is that I DO look forward to going back. I look forward to the limited time I can spend with my parents, with my brother, with my sister in law, and with my nieces. Okay, maybe with a few visits with my high school friends thrown in.

This Saturday, May 6th, Alexia will be baptized and I have the honor of being one of her godmother. I am going home for the baptismal and I am excited! I can't wait to go home once again. Wakka Wakka

No comments: