Sunday, January 29, 2006

Mammogram

Last December, when I went to see my surgeon, he was quite pleased with my CT scan and breast ultrasound results, and then he looked for my mammogram results.

Mammogram? I did not have any mammogram, for my radiotherapy doctor told me to hold off any mammogram for a few months as my treated side would be quite painful if the procedure is done right away. This is because of the scar tissues/fibrosis turning rock hard after being zapped by radiation therapy for 33 days.

I thought I got out of that one. Nope. My surgeon wanted me to have a mammogram, since it is quite important, especially a year after my surgery.

Okay, okay. Much as I dreaded having to squash my twins again, I went in for mamogram last January 19th. I went back to Manila Doctors Hospital (where I had my first mamogram) since St. Luke's would (1.) cost 50% more, and (2.) make me get an appointment which will be a week later. Whereas in MDH, it's on a first come, first served basis.

I met Queenie (the technician who refused to do my mammogram the first time around since I do not fit the profile but eventually did it) again and she did my mammogram again. As with the first time, she did a superb job, the squashing process was not so painful. I thanked her and I was told to go back for the results on the 23rd.

I finally went back for my results on the 24th, being a bit busy on the 23rd. Just before I was able to physically hold my mammogram results, my heart was beating like mad - I thought I might have a heart attack or that my heart would pop out of me.

When I got hold of my results, I went back to my car first before reading it. My heart skipped a few beats when I saw the word "calcifications" leapt out at me. Oh no! Then I saw the word "benign" before it. "Benign calcifications?" Really? Is there such a thing?

The next thing (ok, after driving myself to the office) I did is to fax my mammogram results to my brother in Cagayan de Oro so that he could give it to my surgeon. After doing that, I made it a point not to dwell on the results anymore.

Around 6pm that day, I got an SMS from my brother telling me that my surgeon was quite happy with my mammogram results. Whew! Oh, yeah - hurray! =)

No comments: