Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Innocents' Day

I finally got my ultrasound in CDO on December 28th. It's Innocents' Day on the Roman calendar (hope I got this right). What could go wrong? Right?

I went to see Dr. Sam Balo, a surgeon. After looking at my mammogram plates and results, he gave me a thorough exam and asked me to get that ultrasound. Dr. Ann Co, my radio-onco friend, is at the hospital at the time. She did my ultrasound (after securing the necessary permission, of course). Ann said that the lump on the left indeed have some calcifications (not good) but the edges looks smooth (very good). She measured the mass and it was around 1.9 cm in diameter (not so good). The lump on the right have no calcifications (good) and is smaller in size (better).

Now that the ultrasound's done, I need to have the masses biopsied. Dr. Balo had explained earlier two options for biopsy: (1) Fine Needle Aspiration and (2) Local Excision. He opted to have the FNA for me. Dr. Jean from the hospital's pathology department came over to my brother's clinic to do the biopsy procedure herself. I only have one word for that procedure: AWWWWOUCH!

After Dr. Jean left to look at the tissue sample, brother came in. Then, he has to look at a patient. Five minutes later, the phone rang. Nerd (brother's name) answered. He practically shouted: "F**K! You sure?...Any chance of it going the other way?...ok...thanks!" Talk about subtlety. I felt myself going cold, shivering. I knew then that it's cancer for sure.

No comments: