Friday, August 19, 2005

Silver Linings


Posted by Picasa

This is the invitation to the FIRST (ever) national breast cancer forum here in the Philippines. It's going to be a one day affair to be held at the Garden Ballroom of the Edsa Shangri-La Hotel.

Putting this event together is no mean feat, but the Founder and President of I Can Serve Foundation, Kara Magsanoc-Alikpala is currently trying to move mountains and molehills for it to be a successful one. What is amazing is that the movers and shakers of this foundation all have day jobs, and yet they are able to squeeze in planning an event of this magnitude. This, plus manning the hotline themselves, handling the egroup, etc., no wonder most of them are so skinny! (Hmmm...maybe I should be more active???)

I am awed by the dedication of these women. Maybe, we share the sentiment that we do not want others to suffer the mental, emotional and physical exhaustion that comes with cancer. And if we are powerless to stop the disease, then maybe we can arm other women with information about breast cancer. I do not know exactly what to do, but I will think of something.

When I met up with Kara last Tuesday night to finalize our christmas fund-raiser. We will be selling calendars, proceeds of which will go to the foundation. We hope to sell enough copies so that we may raise enough funds for at least ONE (1) chemo treatment of a patient! This may not sound like much, but I learned that the foundation do things gradually (often in a small scale) for funds are always scarce, so every project would have to be planned carefully. Cancer is not really a popular cause to support, for it is the common notion that when the word cancer is uttered, it means death. And as human nature goes, death is not exactly on the top of the list of anyone's favorite topic.

As it is, the September event is still short of funding. With the country's economy going the way it is, monetary sponsorships are hard to come by. I promised Kara I'll try to pitch in with the effort of coming up with some sponsors, but I really don't know where to begin, much less know how to solicit. As my friends could attest, I find it extremely difficult to ask for anything from anyone. But I will bite the bullet and thicken my skin, I will see what I can do. And maybe help other breast cancer patients and survivors find their silver lining.

No comments: