Friday, February 24, 2006

Adrenalin Pumper

Yesterday, as I was getting ready to head for the school, I received a text message from one of the boarders at home. It read: "Ate Vangie, is it true that the apartment is being evacuated?" Huh? I do not know anything about any evacuation! I wondered why Olive hasn't called or texted me about it, then I realized that she's not home.

I called the apartment and got no answer. Hmmm, it must be true. So, I called up the guard downstairs to verify the news and know what's going on.

Indeed, the whole building is being evacuated! As a safety precaution, they say.

I have written here before that there is a huge construction going on along Adriatico Street (where our room faces). I have complained about the dust during the demolition, and now the incessant noise 24/7. Robinson's Land is building three condominiums simultaneously. One is already around 6 or 8 stories high. The 2nd building's foundation has been laid and they're digging for the foundation of the 3rd one.

Olive and I have gotten used to sleeping with the construction lights (and noise!) seeping into our room. Even with all the lights out, our room's still pretty bright.

Yesterday afternoon, around 3 perhaps, a portion of the Adriatico Street gave way and 4 cars fell into the gaping hole, near the foundation of the 2nd building. They were able to pull 2 cars out but the remaining two were too far gone to pull out. With the collapse of the street, a construction crane about 100 or so feet away tilted dangerously, thus the evacuation.

The contractors don't have a choice but to pull down the crane. So, they proceeded to close Adriatico Street, as well as the nearby one, creating a monstrous traffic jam in the area.

As I did not bring my car, I took a cab home. The driver was blessedly ignorant of this particular piece of news, otherwise, I would have a hard time getting home. I got as far as Taft Avenue, then I walked the rest of the way. When I got to the building, I accounted for my boarders and helps; upon making sure that they are all right, I went into the building to get our important stuff.

I put everything in a bag, and then prepared to leave the apartment. In the stairwell, shouts were suddenly heard. I realized that the crane is on its way down. Being where I was, I just held on to the handrail and braced myself for whatever is going to happen next. There was a crash, a massive sound of steel against steel - but no tremor! I rushed down the next flight of stairs to look out the window to see what is going on. True enough, the crane now lies on its side, clouds of dust rising from the impact, and what's left of a car (crushed like a tin can). As I proceeded to go down, I met other residents going up the stairs. Apparently, the show's over. Next question is: Is the building safe enough?

Just as I completed this thought, the guard came rushing up the stairs, telling us to go down again as it is still not declared safe yet. So, I gathered our stuff again and prepared to go down. I got as far as the main door, then the guard was there again, saying it is okay for us to stay in the apartment already, and that the construction engineers have declared the building safe. Oh, geez!

The short drama left us weak-kneed after, with our adrenalins pumping. Of course, swapping of stories came next, then picture taking (of the crash site) from the roof. I asked everyone to call their parents and to report that they are safe.

The contractors are now working double time to fix the road so that it can be opened to traffic once again. The city mayor gave them 72 hours to accomplish this.

And that was our adventure yesterday.

1 comment:

olive said...

where in qc are we moving to???