Thursday, July 28, 2005

Life's Lottery

Upon reaching the hospital yesterday afternoon, there were only two patients in line before me. It should have been a short wait but the machine broke down and is being repaired. So, I sat down on one of the chairs in the waiting area.

A fellow patient strike up a conversation with me. By and by, his wife came and joined in the conversation. I found out that this is his fourth recurrence. His cancer started in his nose cavity ten years ago. Since then, it had came back time and again. This time around, the cancer have spread to his lungs, liver and bones. He's on his final four radiation treatment and is in constant pain. After which, he will be resting for two months and then it's chemotherapy again. Mr. L, the patient, said he's getting tired of all the medication, it is too taxing on his body.

I found out a while later that his oncologists have already given up on him since the cancer have already reached his vital organs. He won't be having chemotherapy again. His wife just told him that to keep from him the extent of the disease. Mr. L does not drink nor smoke. He eats a healthier diet than his wife. No family history of cancer, too.

Mr. and Mrs. L are very nice people. It is in times like these that it really pains me to see life's mysteries at work. It makes me sad. Before we parted ways, they both told me with all belief and conviction in their hearts that I will be well, a hundred percent. It is like they wanted to hand me a certification of guarantee that I will be well. And I bet they would, too, if they could.

Life's lottery - who knows what you'll be getting next?

No comments: