Friday, July 22, 2005

Technicians

As of today, I have finished five weeks (24 sessions) of radiotherapy. 2 more weeks (9 sessions) to go and I'll be celebrating the end of my "active" treatments. After that will be just drugs and check-ups.

I have been removing my blouse for 4 guys all these 5 weeks (and also for the next 2 weeks) for 5 days each week. They are the technicians who operate the machine that gives me my daily dose of radiation. All are very professional and courteous. Let's call them A, D, G and J.

J is the chatty one; he knows quite a lot about the patients and asks a lot of questions - but never offensive in nature or context. G is the most reserved of the lot. He quitely goes about his work but sometimes the talking bug bites him and he'll crack jokes and share with you some stories. D is the most "playful" one. He'd exchange banters with you while you're checking how long is the line before you. A, I seldom see, but he was the one who treated me today.

D and A both love to sing, that much I know. D once broke out into a song while preparing the machine for treatment. Singing falsetto - "I'm every woman..." - coming from a skinhead 5'7" or 5'8" guy who weighs around 180 to 200 pounds, it's kinda eerie and at the same time funny. And he's not at all a "woman".

A was singing while treating me. If not for the melody, I would not have recognized the song. He was singing, alternating between his voice and falsetto, "wa wa chu pee... pi po chu pee... and love me dying...wa!" Maybe he jest; for a little later he was singing the same thing again, but this time with the right lyrics. "War, war is stupid, people are stupid and love means nothing, in some strange quarters...War!" Well, it's a new version of The War Song of Culture Club. Quite entertaining *LOL*

1 comment:

Nelson said...

di ko kaagad na-gets yung "War Song" he he he pero you're right, funeee nga! ;-)