Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Lean, Mean, Riding Machine

I thought I missed the Oprah Primetime last Sunday. I was so waiting for the show as Oprah's guest is Lance Armstrong. The show was aired sometime last February in the States, here in the Philippines, it was just last Sunday. Good thing I was able to catch the replay around midnight.

To me, Lance Armstrong is the person behind the yellow Nike baller IDs. It never meant much to me - just another fashion statement, just another fad. But after I saw him guest on Oprah, Lance instantly became my hero. (See his website here.)

He was diagnosed to have cancer at the age of 26, given a 50-50 chance to live. But Lance fought back, and after all the treatments, he went on to win Tour de France not only once, but SIX times! Not only that, Armstrong also put up a foundation to help people understand as well as educate them about cancer. The foundation also have cancer research plus a lot more. For a dollar, one can get the signature yellow baller ID with "LIVESTRONG" on it. Proceeds of the baller ID sales goes to the foundation to fund the cancer research.

His is the one of the most amazing stories I have heard. If Lance can do it, then so can other cancer patients. And so shall I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lance Armstrong won the tour de france six times not only because of his great personality but also because he is "lighter by a few grams" compared to other athletes... hehehe...