Thursday, March 31, 2005

Shaolin Kid

When we were kids, movies were always a treat for me. All the more so if we were watching kung fu movies. I have always been amazed by the fighting styles and the characters' ability to take flight. I am also touched by the hardships and the trials that the heroes have to go through in order to become a full fledged kung fu fighter; more especially so if they have to shave their heads (towards the end of the movie) to become fighting monks. *sidebar: hmm, I wonder if all these have any effect on me subconciously? - trials, hardships, head shaving, only thing lacking is flying...LOL* Anyway, I always went home happy for the heroes who were able to overcome all trials and hardships thrown their way.

Last Monday, a cousin from Cagayan de Oro dropped by the apartment to visit. Niño last saw me this January, when my hair was still long. So, it must have been quite a sight for him to see me bald. When I poked my head through the door, his initial reaction was a very big toothy grin; a million dollar smile! Then, he blurted out: Oh, my! Wow! Shaolin kid!

That sent me into peals of laughter. With Niño, there will never be any malice or hidden agenda. He just says what's on his mind. With him, there will always be an air of naivete, which neither age nor wisdom can take away. With that one comment, Niño more than made up for the upset I had earlier in the day, he turned the day around.

Way to go, Shaolin Kid!

No comments: