Tuesday, March 22, 2005

O, Happy Day

Last Saturday' is probably one of the best days I had so far this year.

My day started when I went to National Kidney Institute to have my HER-2 Neu done. But when I got there, the section of the lab performing this test was closed. However, I got to talk to one of the lab technicians and she's very helpful. She also gave me the minimum requirements they need to perform the test...my medical history...clinical pathology...stained slides...etc. So, I called up up my Oncologist and arranged to see her in the afternoon to get all these requirements from her.

I got a call from my Oncologist around 1 o'clock, saying she can't go home to pick up my slides so she'll just see me Monday. Now, I'm left with the rest of the afternoon with nothing to do. I don't want to go to work.

Well...my surgeon did gave me clearance to play badminton already...on the condition that I clear this with my Oncologist. Hmmm...but my Oncologist is very adamant about my playing ONLY after ALL my treatments, including radiation therapy, which means September. Tsk. Bummer!

And then again, people have selective hearing, so do I. Hehehe...yep! you guessed it! I played badminton. Just one game. I'm happy that I was able to finish the game which lasted for around 20 to 25 minutes, even when my partner and I got creamed in the first set; although I was tired after (what can I expect?).

But above all, I was happy to see a lot of good friends in badminton. Some have no idea, and probably still has no idea, that I'm sick. Those in the medical field knew right away (or it may took a few minutes) what was wrong with me when I showed up with a hat. And then there were a few who must have felt real bad when they kidded me about me wearing a hat all the time as if I'm undergoing chemotherapy!

Friends were interviewing me about my sickness, one at a time, so I found myself reapeating my story to different people for two and a half hours! I think I got tired yakking away more than playing badminton.

The highlight of the day is probably when I said hello to the daughter of my good friends. The kid can hardly look at me in the eye; I don't know if I scare her or what. But when her mom asked her if she remembers Tita Vangie, she can't contain her amusement and blurted out with a giggle: Kalbo (she's bald). I laughed. Okay, at least the kid isn't scared of me. She just finds me weird. Maybe.

No comments: