Friday, May 20, 2005

Another One Bites the Dust


Kylie Minogue Posted by Hello

Australian singer Kylie Minogue was diagnosed to have breast cancer this week. A day after the announcement, her website is said to be overloading.

It is sad to know that another woman have been diagnosed with breast cancer. But then again, breast cancer cases are on the rise. Not to panic, for more and more survivors are living longer without recurrence. With the advanced medical options we have nowadays, I think breast cancer can easily be licked. What a person diagnosed with this disease needs to have is a positive attitude and outlook, for this will help a lot when one is undergoing treatment. Do not wallow in self pity or depression.

I'm sure with the announcement of Kylie's condition, more women, I hope men too, will be more aware of the possibility of getting breast cancer. Genetic risk could be a factor, yes, but studies have shown that these cases comprise less than 10% of the cases diagnosed. More and more, studies have shown the correlation of lifestyle, diet and stress factors to be the culprit of this disease; triggering the growth of cancer cells. I do not know how true it is, and I don't mean to scare anyone, but I have read somewhere that all people have dormant cancer cells in their bodies. So the lifestyle factor, the diet factor, the stress factor have roles to play in the growth of cancer cells. This makes sense to me, for there's no family history in my case.

I'm pretty sure Ms. Kylie Minogue will be very vocal about this disease after her treatments. Good for her, we need more spokepersons for cancer, breast and otherwise.

No comments: