Friday, May 06, 2005

Oscar No More

Oscar, that should be my new name. I've been so grouchy since Tuesday. Maybe because I am dealing with the 7,100 sores (of course the number is vastly exaggerated) I have in my mouth. I have to go on a soft diet. That plus the thought of another chemo looming ahead, is enough to send me into grouchland. Oscar, the Grouch? Move aside! You ain't no grouch compared to me! I am even fed up with my own grouchiness! Yikes!

So, yesterday was chemo no. 5. I really dreaded going to the hospital. But, I have to, for all you guys out there! and then some. =)

Got to the hospital around 930 in the morning. When we (Olive and I) got to the Ambulatory Care Unit, I was surprised to see so many patients. All chairs except one were occupied. Oh, that's for me, no escaping this one. We finally started my treatment 1130. When the IV needle was inserted into my vein, I almost yelped out in pain. And when they started to inject the pre-treatment medication, I was on the verge of tears. I was really wallowing in self pity at the time. Then, I mentally slapped myself and told me to stop all this drama, to stop overacting! Well, that worked. Maybe I should have done that earlier. *sheepish grin* By 2PM, we were done. I then went down to the billing section to file for my Philhealth. That took about another hour.

Finally left the hospital around 3PM. But this time, Olive and I were hungry, so we look at our options where to have our lunch. We ended up at Mc Donald's. I know, I know. Hold your horses. I know I'm not supposed to eat greasy food, but the Mc Chicken sandwich never tasted so good, inspite of the pain with each bite. But I just had my chemo; all those toxic drugs should do their job (what twisted logic!).

After the 4 o'clock lunch, Olive and I went on retail therapy. Not really a smart move, considering there will be a sale next weekend. But by then, I can't really go shopping then because my immune system will start to dive at that time. What fun is there when you don't do the hunting yourself? Besides, I really have no patience for the long lines at the counters. Another twisted logic here but bear with me! =)

Since I didn't get my usual afternoon nap (after chemo treatments), I crashed around 10 last night. Today, I woke up at 645. Why? My stomach was grumbling, demanding to be fed. Much as I want to ignore it, I can't. Not for the next few days. Not unless I want hyperacidity.

As of the moment, I feel great, my mouth sores are a whole lot better, I think I've left grouchland *yipee!*. I have to return that right to Oscar, anyway, lest Jim Henson come and pull my leg tonight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

almost there, go vangie