Sunday, May 01, 2005

Respite

I went to St. Luke's to consult with the surgeon that my oncologist recommended. On my way there, Nerd called up to ask how my 2D echo and ultrasound went. I told him that I'll get my 2D echo results either Saturday or Monday; and that Olive's results are good but I'm on my way to see a surgeon.

That sent warning bells ringing so loud in my brother's head! I told him that we have to calm down first (yeah, right! good thing he wasn't around earlier that afternoon.) and see how things turn out after my consult. I also told him not to tell the folks just yet as it might be all for nothing.

A little later, my original surgeon, Sam (he was the one who operated on me) called me up, I told him I'll get back to him after I parked. All these panicky phone calls while I'm driving is not good! I might end up in an accident, and leave this world not because of the big c but because of phone calls! That might be a bit embarassing.

After I parked, I called up Sam and he was worried as well. We discussed my ultrasound result and he said that chances of the cancer recurring at this time is, if not almost, nil; but to go ahead and see the surgeon so that we will all have peace of mind. I promised to keep him posted of the developments and hung up.

I waited for the good doctor at his clinic. While waiting, I was reading a medical magazine that the clinic subscribe to. I think I read more than 5 articles, all of which made no sense, my thoughts were somewhere else.

I finally got to see the surgeon around 6PM. By then, I have calmed down sufficiently (or so I would like to think). The doctor examined me. He said my surgeon did a good job. He was not overly concerned that it might be a recurrence; he's pretty sure that it is just fibrosis (thickening of tissues). But with this sickness, we all want to be 100% sure. So now, I have orders for a mammogram and another ultrasound! Boy oh boy!

I called up the Breast Center in St. Luke's yesterday to have my mammogram and sonogram scheduled. The first opening would be on May 11th yet! I took the slot. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy this respite.

No comments: