Saturday, May 28, 2005

Graduation Day

I had to have my lab work done last Wednesday, a day before my last chemo cycle. In the lab, we had a diffucult time looking for a "working" vein to extract my blood. We even have to take a break in between to rest my right arm a bit. Blood is not be extracted from the left side as much as possible (even taking of blood pressure is to be avoided on this side) as it is my operated side. With the extraction of 9 lymph nodes, my body is unable to flush out toxins as efficiently. So, all test are to be avoided on this side.

The lab technician (the most experienced one) is finally able to extract blood when she decided to do it on my "petrified" vein (this is what I call my vein which have already turned hard and is tender to touch). I almost yelped out in pain. I did not shout, but I definitely stood up from my seat! I rested for about another 10 minutes before leaving the lab.

The dreaded Thursday finally came (I can't stop the world from spinning, much as I want to). Funny, to think that I would be looking forward to this as it is the last chemo treatment. I dragged my hefty ass to the hospital (Olive and my mom actually think that I might skip the treatment). Olive's working, so I asked a friend to meet me at the hospital.

I got to the hospital early, and dutifully texted Olive that I'm there already. Finally, around 1045, we started my treatment. The IV needle was inserted in one go (thank God! but it still hurts). And I dozed on and off during the treatment, feeling dizzy and out of it.

Treatment finally finished around 130PM. I decided to wait for the radiooncologist who will do my radiotheraphy treatments, which will start in 3 weeks.

We finally got to consult with the good doctor around 330PM. So, by 4PM, we were done. My friend drove me home. And that was my graduation day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Vanj! You've been strong all throughout and we are confident you'll see this through. Maybe after all this, bakasyon ka dito, ok? A room is reserved for you.