Saturday, February 05, 2005

Anxiety Attack

My hospital stay have to be extended another day bacause my blood pressure won't go down. The night before I was to be discharged, my blood pressue was at 160/100. So, I decided to get some rest. I slept around 1030. At 2AM, I was wide awake. Olive's still awake, so, I asked her to come talk to me, for I can feel myself starting to panic. I think, no, I know I'm having an anxiety attack.

We talked and I drank some chamomile tea. Olive asked me what I'm anxious about. I said I'm anxious about my blood pressure. Now, how do you fight that? There I was, supposed to get calm or rested enough so that my blood pressure will stabilize, and yet it's exactly the thing that I'm anxious about! How do I win this? *LOL* I'm in deep shit here!

I finally felt calm enough to sleep again. But what do you know? An hour and a half later, I was awake again, and I can't sleep no matter how hard I try. When the nurse came at 6 o'clock. My blood pressure have shot up to 170/120. They gave me something to get my BP down. After an hour, it's gone down to 150/100. Still high, so I had another sublingual dose of medication. During the day, it never went below 130/90.

Nevertheless, I asked to be discharged. As I can't get enough rest at the hospital. With friends and family visiting, and the nurses checking up on me every now and then, I'd rather go home. It's a good thing that my doctors agreed. They discharged me with medications to calm me down. And I'm counting my blessings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

" I said I'm anxious about my blood pressure. Now, how do you fight that? There I was, supposed to get calm or rested enough so that my blood pressure will stabilize, and yet it's exactly the thing that I'm anxious about! How do I win this?"


Vanj, I read somewhere, that prayers or spiritual strength can help. I caught a portion of an interview with the actress Jane Seymour (this is her screen name, the one who was in "Dr. Quin, Medicine Woman"), she said when she becomes anxious, or fearful, to help calm herself, she just lifts up all her worries to a Higher Being. She showed her palms facing upward, to help visualize the lifting of her worries.

In non-Christian religions, I think they also have spiritually oriented way of getting to that calm state.


- JdlrM