Saturday, February 12, 2005

In Search of The Perfect Rug

I got a free book from the mail from a local breast cancer group/foundation. In it are testimonials, list of support groups, etc. I browsed through it and finally found the pages I wanted! The list of wig makers!

I got in touch with two of them and made appointments to see them on February 5, Saturday. A friend is kind enough to go with me, to drive me to these appointments.

The first appointment went from bad to worse. It was a downhill conversation right from the start. And when I saw a sample of their work, I couldn't get out of there fast enough!

Then, we went to Robinson's Galleria. To Scarlet Wigs. The synthetic wigs I saw there were way better than the "human hair" sample I saw earlier. They also have human hair wigs but it costs an arm and a leg! I think I'd rather use that money for my treatments.

By this time, I have pretty much made up my mind. I'm going au naturelle. Bald? So what? I guess deep down I've always wondered how I would look if I'm bald. So, the decision to go bald is easy. That plus the prohibitive cost of a wig! The cheapest quotation I have is PhP 6,500.00! And that is the synthetic hair under the disguise of being human hair! Totally sucks! You have problems of me being bald? Well, you deal with it! Atapang a Vangie! hehehe

I kept my afternoon appointment and I'm glad I did. Otherwise, I might not have met a darling lady. She herself is a cured of thyroid cancer, so I guess she can symphatize with me more than the other. So, we just chit chatted. First she asked me what my chemotherapy protocol would be. I said once every 3 weeks, for 6 cycles. She said I'd be bald for just 3 to 4 months (as opposed to the other one saying I'll be bald for a year!) and if I'm comfortable being bald, to just use the money for my treatments! She's really amazing. Before I left her office, I promised to keep her abreast with my progress.

No comments: