Wednesday, February 23, 2005

It's Working! It's Working!

I think I'm not normal. And you can agree with me.

A lot of cancer survivors' biggest nightmare is when their hair starts to go. Some really find it traumatic; even the thought would have them tossing and turning at night.

I, on the other hand, have psyched myself up for this eventuality since the day I found out I have cancer. Olive and I were talking about wigs, hats and scarves, something like Samantha in Sex and the City.

It's been two weeks since my first chemo treatment; and honestly, I'm starting to wonder if the drugs were doing their thing. I was ready since day 5 (post chemo) for my hair to fall out. When nothing happened, I don't now if I'm to be happy, worried or thankful that my hair haven't been falling out. I decided to be thankful.

So when my hair started to fall out yesterday, I was a bit dumbfounded. It seems no matter how prepared one think one is, one can't really be ready for the sight of a bunch hair in one's hand. And then, I smiled, probably even laughed. What was going through my head? "Yehey! The drugs are working!"

Today, I find myself unable to stop reaching for my hair, gently tugging at it to see if more will come out. More did. At the rate I'm going, I'd make myself look like Gollum in no time. *LOL* I have to resist the temptation to touch my hair every now and then. But my scalp's still itchy.

Next question: will I disguise my baldness or will I wear it proud?

No comments: